It’s no secret that getting the perfect grind is crucial to making a great cup of coffee. Coffee enthusiasts around the world invest a significant amount of time and money in a high-quality grinder to add to their home brewing collection.
Kopi Concepts is a UK-based company founded by motorsports engineer Brandon Wong, an Australian native known for his obsession with coffee. Wong believes that Kopi’s new single-dose cordless coffee grinder may be the last home grinder you’ll ever need.
The Kopi Deva is a single-dose grinder designed for the home coffee enthusiast who wants to experiment with different brewing methods. The Deva’s specially designed short grind path reduces retention significantly, ensuring freshness and the best flavour extraction possible in a single-dose setting while minimising waste. A Kickstarter campaign for the Deva is currently underway, with over $75,000 already raised. The Kopi Deva flat-burr coffee grinder is designed to be both stylish and functional. Kopi Concepts provided the image.
The 64 mm flat burrs found in high-end commercial coffee grinders are used in the Kopi Deva. The grinder allows you to easily adjust the burr speed from 200 to 1,000 revolutions per minute, allowing you to dial in your preferred coffee profile.
The device is powered by a lithium-ion battery that can grind up to 3,000 grammes of beans on a single charge. Charging takes about two hours. The Deva coffee grinder is powered by a rechargeable battery, which eliminates the need for a dangling cord. Kopi Concepts provided the image.
One fully charged battery, according to the company’s website, has enough power to make four double-shot espressos every day for 40 days.
- Flat burrs with a diameter of 64 mm.
- Grind Setting Range: 0 to 2.5 mm vertical space between burrs. Suitable for everything from a French press to an espresso.
- Retention is typically less than 0.2 grammes.
- 13 inches tall, 9 inches wide, and 4 1/2 inches deep.
- 11 pounds 14 ounces in weight
- Burr speed ranges from 200 to 1000 rpm.
- Aluminum 6081-T6 and stainless steel 304 are the materials used.
- Bean Capacity: Up to 30 grammes of beans can be loaded into the funnel at once.
- 3s LiPo 5000 mAh, 11.1V battery
- Battery Life: A single two-hour charge can hold up to 3,000 grammes of beans.
- Brushless DC motor with a 1000 W limit.
- Warranty: One-year limited manufacturer defect warranty.
- You can fine-tune the settings for your preferred grind.
You can dial in precise settings for your preferred grind.
Is It Worth It?
While the portability and ease of use of this new device are appealing, the overall weight and dimensions may make keeping this grinder as the centrepiece of your home brewing kit a wise choice.
The sleek design piqued this author’s interest, and we fully intend to put it to the test once it is officially released in the United States.
The Kopi Deva Kickstarter campaign asks for 459 pounds (approximately $650) from backers outside the UK, and 549 pounds ($778) from UK-based backers.
Check Out More Buying Guides